Saturday, April 5, 2008

New England Spring Flower Show

A couple of Fridays ago I took the day off of work to go to the New England Spring Flower Show hosted by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. I was curious because I'd never been to one. I was also in need of a little injection of spring. This year's theme was "Rhapsody in Green", as in environmentally green as well as obvious green.

Many of the displays were difficult to photograph because they were so large and it was kind of dark in the place - my photographs wouldn't have done them justice. Here are some small scale photos:
giant palm



Patterns on the floor



Pretty garden furniture



Entries from the young Mass Horticulturalists. Flower Power!



Aloe plicatilis, or Fan Aloe. This had a funny little shoot growing up out of the middle but I accidentally chopped it off in the photos.



Oops! I can't find where I wrote down the name of this one. I'd name it the Medusa cactus.



One of the entries in the arrangements section



Lots of orchids. This one is a Doritaenopsis "Chain Xen Pearl" Moth Orchid



Here's a Paphiopedilum Hybrid Ladyslipper



This is a Phalaenopsis "Join Angel" Moth Orchid



And last, a Zygopetalum "River Murray"



The Blue Hills Reservation in Milton had a booth with all kinds of information as well as critters! This is an Eastern Screech Owl that they rescued. Very cute little guy.

In preparation for my own garden, I bought more California poppy seeds and some nasturtium seeds for my porch window boxes. Fun stuff!

No comments: