Monday, September 1, 2008

Western Mass

My Mom and I took a little trip out to Western Mass to visit my aunt, uncle & cousin. We packed a lot into two days! The first afternoon we drove to Northampton and went to a few especially good stores. I found some fun, colorful fabric to make pillow covers for my white couch - photos coming soon. We also went to a giant yarn store where I went crazy in an effort to possess color. I don't knit yet but now I want to even more.











When we returned I wandered through my aunt & uncle's garden (though it was too mosquito-y to sit at the table and read).



And saw the garden bunny!



And then I saw another bunny watching me from the porch:



The next morning my mom and I walked across the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls. This is the time of year to go! It's exactly what it sounds like - a bridge across the river planted with flowers on both sides.



The night before I read an article about Dahlias in a Martha Stewart magazine, so it was fun to see some beautiful examples.



Rose?


Next, we made an obligatory visit to the glacial potholes. They were created when glaciers crept across the landscape. Rocks got stuck beneath and the water made them swirl around and thus the potholes were born. When I was little we could go all the way down and clamber around the rocks and climb in the potholes. It was a fun things to do on a hot day because some of them are quite large and deep, like personal sized swimming pools. Here's a photo from 1988 or 1989 - this pothole must have been dry.

In the afternoon we took a drive out to North Adams where we stopped at the Natural Bridge State Park. This site was a functioning quarry from 1810 to 1947. Driving up to the park there's an amphitheater formed by the quarry:



Once inside the park, there's America's only white marble dam



And me and my mom & aunt in the water:



And finally, the NATURAL BRIDGE!!! (Well, looking under the bridge.)


It was a fun trip. Thanks for being such great hosts!

No comments: